Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Monolithic Dome Structures


The Monolithic Dome is possibly one of my absolute favorites. This could be because it was the first structure I researched that got me interested in sustainable living.

In order to develop self-sustainability, one must take special care in the thought of which structure fits their needs. What is nice about the monolithic dome is that it can be adapted to fit any lifestyle, especially a self-sustainable one. 

Energy Efficient -
The monolithic dome has no seams. This aids wonderfully in keeping the heat in or keeping the heat out. The circular shape of the structure helps even out the distribution of the heated or cooled air, which allows for a more comfortable experience.  The monolithic dome's construction consists of a layer of concrete (shot-crete), a layer of foam insulation, a layer of shot-crete with rebar and lastly the outside air-form. All this combined makes the monolithic dome use approximately 25% the energy for heating and cooling compared to traditional housing.

Strength -
The strength of domes are phenomenal. The monolithic dome can withstand hurricane, earthquake, fire and lightning. The circular shape disperses the energy of a destructive force throughout the rest of the dome. Fire will simply brush up against it without causing any damage. If lightning were to strike the building, the rebar infrastructure would diffuse and ground it. These monolithic domes have met FEMA's standards for near-absolute protection.

Green -
The monolithic dome has the ability to be the greenest of all building, all you need is a bucket of paint...
But really, the potential available to monolithic domes is astonishing. "With your powers combined I am Captan Planet!!!" Please excuse my random thoughts. 


The monolithic dome is energy efficient, is cost efficient and can last for centuries. With these qualities, who could ask for more? Me. I could ask for more. I don't just want a green structure. I want a structure that has the ability to provide for my every need. Luckily these domes can be modified to collect rain water, become a greenhouse, be earthed, etc... This is why it is my favorite. The possibilities are endless.

Please do your own research. Hopefully you'll become as excited as I am. Monolithic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas! This is my favorite part of my blog!

Leave you comments below.